DOS 5.0 with the jrIDE.

General discussions on the PCjr

DOS 5.0 with the jrIDE.

Postby jhuyett » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:05 am

Hello all,
I feel I'm missing something when attempting to patch DOS 5.0 for use with the jrIDE.

I'm able to install DOS 3.2 onto a CF Card within VirtualBox (VB) and able get it to successfully run on the PCjr.
I'm able to install DOS 5.0 onto the same CF Card (verifying the card isn't the problem) within VB and get it to boot in VB and newer hardware.

When attempting to run PATCHDOS from ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Softwar ... TCHDOS.ZIP on 5.0 in VirtualBox, I receive the error "Boot sector read was not successful".
Is there an environment I'm to use to run PATCHDOS?
If I'm to boot from a DOS 3.2 floppy, I'd have to create a smaller C: partition which defeats the purpose of large partition support in 5.0.

When booting with DOS 5.0 I get the likely expected: This drive is too old to support LBA access.
Is there an image of patched 5.0 available I could dd to my CF Card?

I'm still reading through forums so apologies if this has already been covered.

Regards,
jhuyett

Re: DOS 5.0 with the jrIDE.

Postby KenG » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am

It has been covered, search Mike's posts for the manual way to do this. I never could get patchdos to work. This is best done on a real PCjr. Create a DOS 5 boot diskette and patch that. There is a way to patch another file, I think it is format.com, so then it will apply the patch to all media that you format. I haven't done the second patch on mine since I have a jr-IDE and DOM.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Hargle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am

When booting with DOS 5.0 I get the likely expected: This drive is too old to support LBA access.

This doesn't make sense.
The LBA access message is coming from the BIOS, which is in a pre-DOS environment.
In other words, the version of DOS in use is not what is causing this message to be displayed.
Hargle

Postby jhuyett » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Hello all and Thanks for the replies.
> KenG
Ah. Okay. Admittedly I didn't try to install DOS 5.0 on the PCjr itself. Time to figure out how to get DOS 5.0 on floppies.
> Hargle
I thought so to, yet was getting this on the same CF that DOS 3.2 successfully booted on. So the only change here was DOS 5.0.

I searched and no luck in finding an image of patched 5.0 available I could dd to my CF Card.

Regards
jhuyett

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Careful about partitioning and formatting a DoM or HD in another machine then moving it to the JR. The JR-IDE BIOS always enables LBA and divides the total sector count by 63 SPT to get heads/cylinders. Whatever tool you use externally may not use that algorithm or do translation at all. I would get the CHS from the drive attached to the JR first then pass that CHS into whatever off-line manipulation tool you are using.

-Alan
alanh

Postby jhuyett » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Hello all,
Apologies for responding in an old thread, but it seemed the best place for this.
Is there a download location available of the DOS 5.0 image for use with the jrIDE that I could then dd to a CF Card?

Regards,
jhuyett

Return to PCjr General Discussion