MCE2VGA Woes

General discussions on the PCjr

MCE2VGA Woes

Postby redmagehat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi fellow PCjr-ers,

I just picked up an MCE2VGA (v2) adapter from TexElec, and it seems to work great with one exception - I'm seeing a slight bit of wobble in the picture. It seems to go back and forth from pretty stable, to wobbly, and back again in a defined cycle. Here's what I've tried so far:

- I've tried the original PCjr Berg to CGA adapter with a straight-through serial cable into the MCE2VGA.
- I've also tried the nifty PCjr breakout board for video and serial from TexElec.
- I've tried connecting the VGA cable to both a flatscreen TV as well as a flatscreen computer monitor.

In all cases, the wobble seems to be there. Colors look great, and the clarity is pretty good for the few seconds that the picture goes stable.

Anything else I should try? Or is this a quirky PCjr thing? Thanks in advance!
redmagehat

Re: MCE2VGA Woes

Postby Tempest » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:10 am

Do you have video of this? I've been considering getting a MCE2VGA for my PCjr and I'm curious as to how it looks.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby jafir » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:21 am

Does it change if you press on it near the 9 ping connector? I bought a version from Hong Kong, and I've only tested it on one computer, but I noticed some weird video quality issues. I noticed if I pressed on that connector that it made a difference. I assumed it was just poor solder joints, but reflowing them did not help. I think the only other option might be completely replacing the connector.

I'm also wondering if the RGB to HDMI for Raspberry Pi that I've been seeing might be a better option. It doesn't specifically say it supports PCJr, but it says Tandy 1000, so I'd imagine that is close enough.

Here is the github project wiki: https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/wiki

Here is a video of someone showing it in use: https://youtu.be/iGLE0J0sZOQ
jafir

Postby Trixter » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 pm

The RGBtoHDMI is a vastly superior product. It works essentially perfectly, including overscan, with no scaling issues.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Return to PCjr General Discussion