I think it's dead.

General discussions on the PCjr

I think it's dead.

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:36 pm

I hooked up my OPL2 circuit to my PCjr today, and when I went to turn it on, all I got were two beeps. Not even the splash screen. :(

So, I removed the OPL2 circuit. Nothing. Took off the parallel sidecar. Nothing. Took out the disk drive and controller. No difference. Removed my RAM upgrade. No help. Took out the 64k RAM unit. Still nothing. The thing won't boot at all!

What the hell did I do to it?

Seriously, this is my favorite vintage system that I own, it has to work!

GAA!
jmetal88

Re: I think it's dead.

Postby Brutman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Crap happens. I've cooked a parallel port sidecar, an LPT card, and a hard drive. I save more than I burn so I think I'm not going to computer hell, but who knows ..

Look for the obvious discolored chips, connections bridged with foreign material, etc. Check for power on the power supply, etc. You've got some circuit design experience so you know what to look for.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: I think it's dead.

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:42 am

OK, it ended up being REALLY simple.

Since I had some 4164s here already, I replaced all the RAM. Didn't help. Then I noticed one of the wires was loose on my Tandy video mod. I reattached that, and it came back to life.

I really wish I'd noticed that before I replaced all the RAM, that would have saved me a lot of time. :lol:
jmetal88

Return to PCjr General Discussion