Anti-Virus Software

General discussions on the PCjr

Anti-Virus Software

Postby James » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:19 pm

What strategy are you using for Virus prevention/detection? There seem to be very limited options for DOS virus detection and none that I found will work on anything less than a 386. The programs I have found are VirScan, a German DOS scanner, Dr. Web, a Russian Antivirus software company that makes a DOS version and F-Prot, which is discontinued but had an update as late as 2009. I am Leery of the Russian product, Dr. Web. VirScan, the German product, is nice and I was able to stumble through the German directions. VirScan is available at http://roseswe.ez-web.de/

Scanning the files with a windows scanner may not be effective. Copying the files over to a modern machine and then scanning them in a DOSBox window with a DOS scanning program seems to be the only option available. That does not help with hidden files and boot sector viruses.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Re: Anti-Virus Software

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Way back when, I used to use a program on my 286 laptop called ViruCide Plus. I don't know if it would still be useful today, though, if you could even find a copy.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Oh, interesting. I just stumbled across this site on a search, and I didn't remember this, but apparently ViruCide was licensed from McAfee:

http://www.danielsays.com/ss-gallery-do ... e-224.html

I wonder if it was really just VirusScan with a name change, then?
jmetal88

Postby Trixter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:01 pm

If you look around you should still be able to find F-Secure for DOS in older archives (simtel?) Also, IBM PC DOS 2000 has a built-in virus scanner and the definitions are likely to be current through 1994.

If you're looking for a modern, updated, virus scanner for DOS, such a beast does not exist. I trust my windows scanner to catch things because nearly everything I do with vintage machines goes through my windows machine (both to and from them).
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby James » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Actually there are at least two current DOS virus scanners available. One is from Germany and one is from Russia. I have been using the German one but not on the PCjr as it requires a 386+ processor. What I have been doing, besides scanning new files, is copying the files from the PCjr onto a modern computer via the network and then scanning them in a DOSBox Window. It is in German but the technical terms are close enough that I can figure it out. The URL is above.

F-Prot updated their DOS version until 2009. It also requires a 386+
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Return to PCjr General Discussion