Best way to capture video/audio of the PCjr

General discussions on the PCjr

Best way to capture video/audio of the PCjr

Postby riq » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 am

Hi,

What's the best way to capture video/audio of the PCjr?

Ideally it should capture the RGBI output and not the composite one... I have a (cheap?) composite-to-usb capture device and I see everything black & white (although it captures with color in the c64).

As a backup plan, does anyone have already a working setup to capture video? I'm coding a program and I'll need to do a video capture of it in a few weeks... could anyone do the capture for me in case I can't have my setup working ?

Thanks!
riq

Re: Best way to capture video/audio of the PCjr

Postby jscrow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:40 pm

I get a B&W picture on everything I've plugged into the composite output on my PCjr. I've tried with older & newer flatscreens, a composite to VGA adapter, and also a composite to usb capture device. My C64, TI99, and 800XL all put out a good color picture on these devices...
jscrow

Postby riq » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:37 am

good to know I'm not the only one seeing everything in B&W.

it seems that the color-burst is being ignored... perhaps it is using some "old-spec" a newer devices don't recognize it ???.

In any case, if anyone is able to capture vidoe in color (and would like to do me a favor), and I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
riq

Postby GHiero » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 am

The ideal way to capture video from CGA, PCjr., Tandy or 200-line EGA would be to use a GCLabs digital RGBI to analog RGB converter, then an Open Source Scan Converter and finally an HDMI capture card capable of at least 720p/60fps.
GHiero

Postby riq » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 am

GHiero wrote:The ideal way to capture video from CGA, PCjr., Tandy or 200-line EGA would be to use a GCLabs digital RGBI to analog RGB converter, then an Open Source Scan Converter and finally an HDMI capture card capable of at least 720p/60fps.

I guess I'll need an adapter from "PCjr video out" to db9... right ? any idea where can I find one? or the lines that I should connect ? (schematic).
Thanks!
riq

Postby Brutman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

You have a technical reference manual, right? If not I can post a scan for you ... but the pinout is in there.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby riq » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:23 am

Brutman wrote:You have a technical reference manual, right? If not I can post a scan for you ... but the pinout is in there.

yes I do. I'll look at it. thanks!
riq

Postby GHiero » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:10 pm

IBM came out with an official adapter that converted the pins from the BERG-style row headers to a standard DE-9 female for the IBM 5153 PC Color Display and similar monitors.
GHiero

Postby riq » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 pm

GHiero wrote:IBM came out with an official adapter that converted the pins from the BERG-style row headers to a standard DE-9 female for the IBM 5153 PC Color Display and similar monitors.

thanks for the info. I don't have one, so I'll try to build one myself.
riq

Postby riq » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Embarrassing, but is there any good samaritan willing to capture the video output of program (a demo) that I did for the PCjr ?

I'm going to present it this weekend in a party, but I've just realized that I don't have all the needed components to do the capture.
I have 3 of the required 4. I already have texeleco, GGlabs and GBS 8200... but now I need something to capture from VGA.

The only thing that I can offer in exchange, is to add this good samaritan in the greetings section of the demo.

Many thanks!!
riq

Next

Return to PCjr General Discussion