PCjr temporarily freezes cyclically

General discussions on the PCjr

Re: PCjr temporarily freezes cyclically

Postby Brutman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 am

I had thought about packet floods too, but I honestly don't think they are going to be noticeable. My home network is *extremely* noisy and I've never had this kind of problem before. To give you an idea, I packet sniff once in a while and I see all sorts of garbage on the network. Windows 10, a network enabled printer, two Google Home devices, two Chromecast devices, two routers, a PlayStation 4, and more phones and tablets than I can count are all bombarding my network.

The path to service the hardware interrupt and drop the packets is tiny:

• Take the hardware interrupt.
  • Scan the list of registered packet handling programs. (Will be 0 in this case.)
  • Possibly write to the hardware to tell it to discard the packet.

Anything is possible; the packet driver might be doing more work under the interrupt, including doing things it should not be trying to do. But I've got at least 10 years of experience using these things developing networking code and I've never seen one do this.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:23 am

Until the user sniffs and captures traffic, we may never know. "...my ancient wifi router (configured as a switch) that it is plugged into" contributed to my theory.

My theory can be tested by blasting the PCjr with directed traffic and seeing what it does, but I'm at work right now.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby monzamess » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:10 am

Brutman wrote:So just to summarize - load the packet driver, but never use a networking problem. Having the Ethernet cable plugged in will cause irregular pauses? And just to be clear, you did not actually run any networking related code except for loading the packet driver?

Yes, exactly.

Brutman wrote:What parameters did you use on the packet driver? (Etc)

I'll look this weekend and report back.

Trixter wrote:...figure out why the Xircom is getting flooded with regular bursts of traffic

I do have a surveillance NVR on the network... and a crapton of personal devices (6 people in household with full complement of computers, tablets, game systems, etc). Another thing I will look into.
monzamess

Postby monzamess » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Packet driver is "Xircom Pocket Ethernet Adapter III Packet Driver, V.3.08 (940920)"

Confirmed that the computer operates normally plugged into my "local" repurposed switch IF the uplink is unplugged; i.e. errant behavior is due to traffic on the main home network segment hitting the local switch and the PCjr.

I've just started playing with Wireshark. I haven't used this since it was called Ethereal so I'm relearning a few things.
monzamess

Postby Brutman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:59 pm

I just ran a test here and could not reproduce the problem.

I fired up the machine (DOS 3.3), loaded the packet driver, and even ran some programs so the other machines on the network would have the MAC address of the Xircom in their ARP caches. Then I setup a Linux machine to ping at a rate of 100 pings per second. Running the netcat program and just having it wait for an incoming connection, it was able to keep up with the Linux machine for 571 seconds (9.5 minutes) without dropping a single packet. Actual packets sent and received were 48299, which makes it a rate of 75 packets per second (not the desired 100 per second), but that is still amazing.

Then I exited that program, dropped into BASIC, and wrote just a small loop to print increasing numbers on the screen figuring that it would be obvious if the machine paused. The Linux machine was still pinging at 100 packets per second, but now it was not getting responses as no mTCP code was running. No glitches in the BASIC program for 4.5 minutes, so I got bored and gave up.

Perhaps you have some very strange traffic on your network? Or bad hardware.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 pm

icmp ping is only 74 bytes; it's possible he's getting sent MTU maximum. Try larger ping spamming.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Brutman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Larger packets would simulate traffic, but I was going for interrupts per second which is the hard part of the test. (There is very little difference between handling an ICMP packet and a larger packet, especially if it is just a matter of dropping the packet on the floor.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jscrow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:44 am

I'm having the same problem on a jr I just put together with two sidecars.. a jrIDE and bidirectional parallel with a Xircom PE3-10BT. I start getting the temp freezes after loading the packet driver. I've tried changing the driver settings from int=7 to int=0 with same results. I also ran the PE3TEST and the adapter passes everything. I have no issues on my other jr using a Xircom PE3-10BC using the same ethernet cable.
jscrow

Postby Brutman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:20 am

Ok, two reports now ... I'd still like to see the version of DOS and the exact config.sys, autoexec.bat and PE3 command line parameters that you are both using.

My system machines jscrow's system - a jrIDE and a bi-directional parallel port. I used DOS 3.3 for the test; I'll try DOS 5 next.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jscrow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:17 am

IMG_8684.jpg
(343.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_8687.jpg
(330.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jscrow

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr General Discussion