PCjr from member

General discussions on the PCjr

PCjr from member

Postby KenG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 pm

I just received a system from IBMbr14 for the cost of shipping and plan to document what I got here. Here is a partial list, I will add to it later.

The PCjr suitcase.
A PCjr monitor
A PCjr with two sidecars
The power Brick
Two keyboards, original chicklet and the enhanced one.
A keyboard cable
A serial adapter
3 joysticks.
A few diskettes

I took the lid off the PCjr to see how clean it was, very, and because something was rattling around in it. I found a metal piece in it that I have no idea what it is for. Removed both sidecars, one is a parallel port and the other a 128kb IBM memory sidecar with a silver sicker where the switches should be. Maybe modified to 512k?

I left the parallel port side car off but reinstalled the memory, hooked up my monitor and the enhanced keyboard and turned it on. 640k and got the basic screen. Tried to boot using a known good diskette...no go. Found that the spindle wasn’t turning. Moved by hand and then it did boot, but very noisy. Used sewing machine oil on the rails and spindle. It took a while, but now it is quiet and booting every time. Next I tried booting from the diskette that was it the drive when I got it. Good job having one clamped in it to trotect the heads during shipping. It booted, created two ram drives, copied command.com to C:, and copied the contents of A: to D:, leaving me at the D: prompt. The only other thing I’ve done so far was to take apart the other sidecar to see if it had been modified for bi-directional. I has not. More to come as I have time to do more testing, but the working parts I have now were worth the cost of shipping. Especially the 512k sidecar.

I almost forgot. The enhanced keyboard had no batteries and it looks like contacts on one end are even missing. Not a problem for me as I always use the cable. The chicklet keyboard had leaking batteries in it and does not work. I hope I can repair it. While it sucks as a keyboard, I would like to have a functional one in my collection. It is very clean, while the other is very dirty. Obvious which one got used.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Re: PCjr from member

Postby KenG » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Today, I tested the monitor. It is very dirty, but works much better than the other one I have. That is very good as it was probably the most expensive piece to ship. There are 3 cartridges, Mouser, BASIC, and one without a label that I think might be Crossfire, since a diskette for that was included. I want to add a note of caution on shipping PCjrs. The tabs that hold the disk drive in place are broken, in this case, the computer survived. A couple of years ago, I had one where the drive fell through the case taking out all,of the cards. Amazingly, the floppy drive adapter was the only thing that didn’t work. If shipping, check and find another way to hold the drive in place if the tabs are broken.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Re: PCjr from member

Postby KenG » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Been a while, but today I took apart the chicklet keyboard and attempted a repair. Blue residue was on a lot of the board, but whatever IBM used for traces wasn’t damaged. I cleaned it off the best I could with vinegar, rinsed the board with hot tap water and then with isopropanol. Dried with a hairdryer and reassembled. At least in corded mode, it works. I need to rest wireless mode and all of the keys, but I am very hopeful that it is OK.
KenG

Return to PCjr General Discussion