Bulletin Board for PCJr

General discussions on the PCjr

Re: Bulletin Board for PCJr

Postby geoffdaddy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:55 pm

I always thought it would be awesome if there was a telnet text only front end to vBulletin or phpBB so that you could use the web interface or telnet and have the same forum content.
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby Sharkey1331 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:32 am

OldComputerGuy wrote:Would any version of Wildcat! run on the Jr?

I used to run Wildcat!4- I just found the requirements for that online: http://www.santronics.com/products/wild ... ements.php
Needs a 386 at least, is what they claim. However, I recall back in the day, the shareware version of Wildcat! was Wildcat!2? I wonder if this is still around somewhere? Maybe it's requirements are less? Single line in this day/age are probably ample- and with TCPSER, it is possible to have any BBS "think" it has a Hayes compatible modem, when it is really talking to TCPSER modem emulator- and then it is Telnet compliant.

Here's Wildcat! 1.x, 2.x, and up to version 4.x (4 requires a registration code)... http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/IBM/DOS/WILDCAT/

Brutman wrote: ...I wrote BBS software that ran on the PCjr back in the mid 1980s. I never ran the BBS myself, but it did run for at least a year full time on a friend's machine...
...In 2010 I demonstrated a primitive Telnet BBS running on the PCjr. It handled concurrent connections and it had a message board, but it did not have a files area. After that I started on an FTP server. Now I have an FTP server, HTTP server, and a few other goodies that I can eventually combine together to make a Telnet BBS with file uploading and downloading capability.

Mike, is your BBS code still around? Any interest in making it available for us to play around with?
Jason
IBM PC Jr. NEWB! Parallel sidecar, jrIDE, NEC V20, JRCONFIG, Xircom PE3 + IRCjr!
Also, check out my clone of the Altair 8800micro Clone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19zdzP ... yX5JoOO4qA
Sharkey1331

Postby Chuckphd53 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Hope to have it running by summer :)
(PCJR/JR-IDE-512DOM,TandyMod,V20-10Chip,BiDir,LPT2,3FlopBrd,
USBEmulator,ZIP100,PS2Keybrd,MouseSysMouse,InternalSwitcherPS)
Chuckphd53

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:08 pm

It really needs a rewrite ...

The first mTCP program I wrote was either Netcat or IRCjr. Then I started on a test server that did a rudimentary job of handling several concurrent incoming connections. I added Telnet support to that and built a BBS around it.

Since that time I've written the Telnet program with full ANSI emulation, the FTP client, sever, HTTP server, etc. The current Telnet options handling code in the Telnet program is good and is what should be moved back into the BBS program. What's there now is primitive garbage. I'm also scared of the message boards and other stuff because I haven't looked at it in years.

Maybe next winter I'll finally make some progress on it. It still compiles, but I haven't tried to run it in years. So it's effectively dead code at the moment.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Chuckphd53 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:53 am

Mike, is your BBS code still around? Any interest in making it available for us to play around with?

Sorry Jason...
I thought that question was for me :) (next time I'll put on my glasses when I grab my ipad) :)

chuck
Chuckphd53

Postby Fidoman82 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:30 am

Loved Fidonet in the early 80's. I would be interested in using and supporting a Jr BBS. I have never hosted a BBS, but the idea of getting a Fidonet up and running is appealing. Trying to remember if 1200 baud is the fastest a Jr will go. I will be looking to buy a Modem soon.
Fidoman82

Postby Chuckphd53 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:39 am

The Jr serial port is listed at 4800, so if you stay at 2400 it would be a nice speed.
this is what I am working with for mine, seems to be fast enough, of course you
have to get in your wayback machine and be marveled at the increase from 300baud
of the original Jr modem :) (which is what my BBS ran at until I bought my New Hayes 1200Baud Modem ($400, 1985)
Chuck
Chuckphd53

Postby Chuckphd53 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:08 am

Fidoman82 wrote:Loved Fidonet in the early 80's. I would be interested in using and supporting a Jr BBS. I have never hosted a BBS, but the idea of getting a Fidonet up and running is appealing. Trying to remember if 1200 baud is the fastest a Jr will go. I will be looking to buy a Modem soon.

Just a note: the JR serial port (back of unit) does not support the RING Indicator signal, I have upgraded my JR so support that missing line.
it is one chip and two wires... If needed I can document this, have not done so, as I figured I was the only one that would ever care about it..

But also my Serial card that will work in the Modem slot will also have the RI line active.
Just be sure if you use the Back port, you have a Modem plugged in or the Bios will see that serial port as COM1 and yet still work with the $2F8-F port address.
can be a 'gothcha' if using a Basic like 'COMx' software... as COM1 is tagged to $3F8-F in the standard PC world...

Wow to be around the PCJR design teams table when that decision was made....would have been very interesting !
Chuck
Chuckphd53

Previous

Return to PCjr General Discussion