PCjr Telnet Server Test is Running!

Discussions on programming older machines

PCjr Telnet Server Test is Running!

Postby Brutman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:14 pm

It's running! Telnet to 97.86.233.68 to take a look and help me test it. You can use the standard Windows telnet program, Putty, Linux, or whatever you have handy.

Around 10 users can be on at the same time. When you sign on (no password required) there will be a little menu to help you waste some time. Some things you can do are see who else is on the server, view the machine type, ROM BIOS date and DOS version, check the TCP/IP statistics to see how much traffic it is handling, etc.

There are some upgrades since the last time I ran this test (in Dec 2007):

• The TCP/IP stack is much better
  • I'm doing 'telnet' negotiation to figure out the terminal type, turn echoing on, etc.
  • Crude line editing has been added

Right now it is running on my PCjr using a Xircom PE3 10BT. I plan to leave it up as long as it runs, or three days, whichever comes first. It is a PCjr so if there is a momentary delay, don't panic - it's probably just doing disk I/O.

Backspace is a little dodgy .. it really wants ASCII 8 and a lot of terminals and emulators do ASCII 127 instead. Try variations with the shift and control keys if it doesn't work.

Please post comments and bug reports here.

Thanks,
Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: PCjr Telnet Server Test is Running!

Postby Brutman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Testing is done ..

It ran from Friday evening until Saturday early afternoon. A bug in my code corrupted the stack when a new connection had trouble getting started, and some packets were retried. I fixed it and started again.

Then it ran for about 3.5 days. The Jr took in 685 connections, of which about 290 were from humans and the rest were generated by a 'torture' script I wrote. Over 90,000 packets were sent and received. Now comes the fun part of weeding through the logs to see what should be investigated or fixed.

So a telnet BBS on the PCjr is definitely feasible. What do people think of one for real? I think it would be neat to ditch the web forum and go back to real hardware and system suitable for the hardware, but the web forum definitely has advantages.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Brutman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 am

It is back running again with some usability upgrades and some bug fixes! As PCjr owners you are all required to check it out ...

Telnet to 97.86.233.68 to check it out. Here is a link ( telnet://97.86.233.68/ ) that you can click on to visit right now. Any reasonable telnet client (Windows or Linux) should work. Be sure to check things out and leave a comment, and check back often to see how the machine is holding up.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Whatever happened to the telnet BBS project? It would really be a cool thing to have. Sure maybe not as slick as this current forum, but far more authentic in my view :)
One question though, wouldn't the power supply conk out after a few weeks of continuous running?
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Oh, it's still out there ... and far more developed than what was available in when those first posts were made.

As it stands now, the BBS has a message board with multiple forum areas, proper user IDs, and it does real Telnet options negotiation so that you can connect with a telnet client. It still handles multiple users at a time with acceptable performance.

The FTP server I wrote was originally designed to make it easier to interact with the BBS. After I finished it and realized how big that monster was, I decided I did not want to merge the code with the BBS code. I still might put some FTP function in it, but it would have to be scaled back a lot.

About a year ago I added Xmodem and Ymodem to the Telnet client. Xmodem and Ymodem over TCP is a little silly because TCP does all of the error detection and correction for you, but it works and it is more than fast enough. I will probably add Xmodem and Ymodem file transfer support to the BBS, but I don't intend to do a full blown files area. (An HTTP server or FTP server makes more sense for that. Xmodem and Ymodem would make more sense for occasional use.)

I don't know how the power supply will hold up. I've never had one die on me, and I have run a PCjr continuously for over a week at a time. If it is really that bad I'll modify an AT or ATX power supply for use with the Jr.

One key reliability problem did get solved for me - the hard drive. With jrIDE I get both the speed and performance I need, and it's easy to back up the hard drive by just moving it to another machine. I can also use a DOM and get rid of the mechanical parts all together. Before jrIDE I was wondering what the hell I was going to do; I really did not want to burn up a SCSI drive for a BBS and the performance of my parallel-port to SCSI adapter is adequate but not great.

I guess the bigger problem is, who is the audience. A telnet BBS is cool for giggles, but it's not worth going through the effort if it's going to get 5 connections a week. I can count on you for the 2nd user now I guess. : - 0

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Well, 5 connections a week ain't bad in this day and age for a BBS. The BBS I frequent the most (Heatwavebbs.com) dedicated to the TI 99/4A computer gets quite a few more connections than that a week.
If you add a game doorway to things like MUD's for example, then you would likely increase your traffic even further.
If you build it, they will come :)
Vorticon

Return to Programming