DOS FTP Server testing (again)

Discussions on programming older machines

DOS FTP Server testing (again)

Postby Brutman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm testing out some new TCP/IP retransmit handling code and I'm using the FTP server on my PCjr to do it. If you want to connect for giggles (and to help me test) you can connect by going to the following address:

ftp://96.42.84.69:2021/

That URL should work in most browsers (Firefox, IE and Chrome). Chrome tends to be a bit of a pig and it tries to preload the content that it finds, so if you see it going slowly it is probably due to multiple connections. The poor PCjr is only setup for 9 simultaneous connections.

If you use an FTP client anonymous FTP should work fine. Note the non-standard control port - 2021. Which also means that if you are using a real FTP client (and not a browser) you should be using PASSIVE mode. (Port mode with a non-standard control port confuses most firewalls, and they won't pick it up. Most browsers use PASSIVE mode by default.)

Uploading is not turned on for this test, but if you are dying to upload contact me and I'll give you the password.

Fun facts:

• The machine is a PCjr with a jrIDE sidecar, 20GB IDE hard drive, WD8003 ISA Ethernet adapter, NEC V20 CPU, and an IBM PC 5150 keyboard.
  • If you want to see how the TCP/IP code is holding up you can get statistics by using the "SITE STATS" command in a suitable FTP client.
  • This is a DOS machine - you have to use DOS filenames and paths, except for the directory delimiter - that uses the standard forward slash. (Using the DOS backslash was too difficult for most clients and browsers.) Also, if you use MGET remember that you have to use *.* and not just * for a filespec.

Comments and bug reports are welcome. If the bug reports get too long or involved we can do it by email instead.
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: DOS FTP Server testing (again)

Postby Vorticon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Mike, no problems connecting on my end. I was able to view a couple of the JPG's.
Could you please return the favor and see if you can connect to my PCjr ftp server at this address: ftp://98.227.142.52:2021/ ? I think I have solved the connectivity issue I was having. It seems my router did not like that the external ports were forwarded to a different set of internal ports, i.e. the external ports were 2048-3071 and were forwarded to the PCjr's control port of 2021. Making both sets of ports similar apparently solved the issue...
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 pm

It works but I'd suggest setting up the sandbox mode. That's a little risky there. ;-0

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:24 am

Well, I have nothing sensitive on the machine, and anonymous users do not have write privileges. I suppose someone might try to figure out my master ID and password and trash my files, but it's highly unlikely. We're a relatively small community after all :)
Besides, the server will only be up from a couple more days because I don't want the Jr to be on all the time as I worry about the power supply burning out.
Vorticon

Postby James » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:37 am

Connected to both servers succesfully. Once with an ipad with Safari and once with IE9 in Window 7.

On the Brutman server, I was able to open and download files with IE9 in Windows 7. I was able to open files (jpg and txt) with Safari on the ipad.

On the Vorticon server, I downloaded jrconfig.nrd with IE9 in Windows 7. I connected sucessfully with Safari on the Ipad but couldn't find anything the ipad could open.

I'll try with the PCjr at work. Is there any other testing I should try?

James

Update:
Accessed both servers using mTCP's FTP client using a PCjr. Downloaded a few test files. Everything worked OK.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby Vorticon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 am

Thanks James. Appreciate it :)
Vorticon

Return to Programming