Chiclet keyboard battery consumption?

Hardware questions and modifications

Chiclet keyboard battery consumption?

Postby geoffdaddy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 pm

I have noticed that my Chiclet (ahem "Freeboard") eats batteries pretty quickly. Most times I take a battery out for this reason when I'm not using it, but I find if I leave them all in that the set will be dead within a week or so. Is this everyone else's experience?
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Re: Chiclet keyboard battery consumption?

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:30 am

Interesting how you bring up battery life.
Do you have a problem with the non-chiclet keyboard? (assuming you have one)

I just recharged my batteries in my revised freeboard a few days back because I realized I haven't charged them since the summer, though they weren't dead yet, just wanted to make sure they don't.

I don't mean to hijack, but how many of you guys use the freeboards without a cord and use batteries instead?
PCjr:
Eric

Postby geoffdaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:36 am

Eric wrote:Interesting how you bring up battery life.
Do you have a problem with the non-chiclet keyboard? (assuming you have one)

Good question. I do have an enhanced keyboard, but I've yet to take it out of the plastic bag it came in (not because I'm trying to keep it mint or anything, I'm sure it got used from the look of it). Just hadn't got around to it yet.
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby Brutman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 am

I think that rechargeable batteries are on the "no-no" list - alkaline batteries are recommended. Your standard rechargeable battery charges to less than the 1.5V that an alkaline battery puts out when new, so it's like starting with old batteries even when they are charged.

Battery life with alkaline batteries has been great - months. And I use my machine quite a bit. More recently I use it only with a keyboard cord, but you should not be having battery problems with new alkaline batteries. The keyboard is only on when you press a key - it is effectively always in standby except for when you transmit a scan code.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

I was thinking one of his keys might be stuck, but I can't imaging which one it could be without going unnoticed.

Btw, I'm aware about the lower voltage and the voltage drops with the rechargeables, but I've never had a problem with these 2300mAh batteries I've been using.

I use the same kinds in my DMG gameboy I've (classic model) modified with a green V⁴ backlight plus some other modifications and get quite a bit of use out of them. I used to stick with Alkaline batteries back in the nineties because my rechargeables always seemed to explode after a few charges and didn't seem to last long, but these rechargeable Energizers I've been getting for the past few years have been working good and I haven't had any issues with them yet, so I use them.
PCjr:
Eric

Postby Brutman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Voltage != mAh ...

Measure the voltage. There is quite a difference, especially when multiplied by 4.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Brutman wrote:Voltage != mAh ...

Measure the voltage. There is quite a difference, especially when multiplied by 4.

Definitely. I usually get just over 1.3 per cell rather than 1.5 like an alkaline.
PCjr:
Eric

Return to PCjr Hardware