XT-IDE on PCjr

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: XT-IDE on PCjr

Postby jmetal88 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Trixter wrote:Personally, I don't see why everyone doesn't go the DOM route. It is a blast having the entire thing completely contained withing the sidecar shell.

I don't do it because my board's the prototype revision, and I built it without the right-angle connectors, haha. I'm actually using a real laptop hard drive with mine, bolted down to the board and powered by the PCjr. Yes, somehow my PCjr is able to power itself, both sidecars, two floppy drives, and the hard drive while still running reliably.
jmetal88

Postby monzamess » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:26 pm

jmetal88 wrote:
monzamess wrote:Still no luck with the traditional hard drives but I have better news.

I bought a Transcend 1GB DOM from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/TRANSCEND-FLASH-M ... b+vertical

It's recognized by jrIDE. I formatted several partitions in DOS 3.3. It boots and works well.

Is that the kind that plugs directly in to the IDE header? If so, it's starting to sound like your cable may be the problem with your traditional drives.

Could be, but I tried a couple of different 80-conductor cables and they both work with these drives on my PCs with native IDE.
monzamess

Postby jmetal88 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:19 pm

monzamess wrote:
jmetal88 wrote:
monzamess wrote:Still no luck with the traditional hard drives but I have better news.

I bought a Transcend 1GB DOM from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/TRANSCEND-FLASH-M ... b+vertical

It's recognized by jrIDE. I formatted several partitions in DOS 3.3. It boots and works well.

Is that the kind that plugs directly in to the IDE header? If so, it's starting to sound like your cable may be the problem with your traditional drives.

Could be, but I tried a couple of different 80-conductor cables and they both work with these drives on my PCs with native IDE.

Yeah, I guess that would be an unlikely cause, then. Oddly enough, I've had issues using 80-conductor IDE cables in the past for some reason (I know why they're supposed to be more reliable), so I try to stick with 40-conductor cables, if I can.
jmetal88

Postby Maximillion95 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:15 pm

Who can I contact to order one of these? I am interested in purchasing one.
Maximillion95

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Maximillion95 wrote:Who can I contact to order one of these? I am interested in purchasing one.

Assembled or as a kit? I still have one kit I haven't sold yet, and I'm offering it assembled for $125. If you just want the parts kit, Alan is selling them for $85, IIRC. Both prices include shipping within the US.
jmetal88

Postby Maximillion95 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 pm

I would like it assembled. How to I go about ordering it?
Maximillion95

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:50 pm

Maximillion95 wrote:I would like it assembled. How to I go about ordering it?

Send me a private message, and I'll give you my PayPal e-mail (that's my preferred way to take payments). Then I'll assemble and test your kit, and pack it and mail it as soon as possible! At most, it'll take me a week to ship out, but more realistically you can expect it to ship out within 2 or 3 days of payment received. As of right now, the parts are still packaged in the way Alan sent them to me.
jmetal88

Postby Lutiana » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 am

jmetal88 wrote:

Send me a private message, and I'll give you my PayPal e-mail (that's my preferred way to take payments). Then I'll assemble and test your kit, and pack it and mail it as soon as possible! At most, it'll take me a week to ship out, but more realistically you can expect it to ship out within 2 or 3 days of payment received. As of right now, the parts are still packaged in the way Alan sent them to me.

I'd be interested in getting one myself (assembled). Do you have more than the one available?
Lutiana

Postby jmetal88 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 am

Lutiana wrote:
jmetal88 wrote:

I'd be interested in getting one myself (assembled). Do you have more than the one available?

No, Maximillion95 got my last one. If you'd like me to assemble one for you, you could request Alan to send me another kit, though (I think he still had some left). EDIT: Alan's user name on here is 'alanh', if you want to send him a message.
jmetal88

Postby Lutiana » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks for the tip. Allan sent me mine and it arrived today. Quick question, but is there a build guide someone on this thing? I skimmed through this very long thread but could not really find anything that would help me make sure I get the right components in the right places.
Lutiana

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware