Let's see a picture of your computer desk/setup!

Open discussion for anything computer related

Let's see a picture of your computer desk/setup!

Postby Sharkey1331 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:05 am

Guys,
I'm tired of setting up my retro computing setup hap-hazardly where it will temporarily fit. I've been thinking of making a computer desk for it. I need some ideas- what do you guys use?
IBM PC Jr. NEWB! Parallel sidecar, Hotshot II (soon to be replaced with JRide)

Also, check out my clone of the Altair 8800micro Clone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19zdzP ... yX5JoOO4qA
Sharkey1331

Re: Let's see a picture of your computer desk/setup!

Postby monzamess » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Here's my setup... I had to resort to a piece of plywood on top of a dresser. No where else to put them.

In this picture, the PCjr is running DOSLYNX reading a web page served by the Apple //e.

PCjr has power sidecar, two parallel sidecars modified as bi-directional and LPT1/LPT2, speech sidecar, and jrIDE. Xircom PE3-BT ethernet adapter and Backpack HD 3.5"drive connected to the parallel ports.

Apple //e has enhancement kit and has 1MB RAM, Uthernet II, Classic IDE, SD Floppy II, Super Serial, and Mouse.

Netbook is used to download files. I connect a USB floppy drive to it to exchange files with the PCjr (haven't run gotten far with the networking yet). It also runs ADTPro and Ciderpress for the //e and dumps disk images to the SD card used by the SD Floppy II.

The Apple //e and PCjr are connected via copper to the WRT150N wifi router, which is running DD-WRT and bridging to the main wifi router on the other side of the house. They have full wireless internet connectivity even being stuck up in a corner of my bedroom on a plywood plank.
Attachments
pcjr.jpg
(152.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
monzamess

Postby Sharkey1331 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:40 am

Love the setup! Apple II and PCjr- the PCjr with 5(!) side cars no less! :-)
IBM PC Jr. NEWB! Parallel sidecar, Hotshot II (soon to be replaced with JRide)

Also, check out my clone of the Altair 8800micro Clone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19zdzP ... yX5JoOO4qA
Sharkey1331

Postby Trixter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:11 am

Sharkey1331 wrote:Guys,
I'm tired of setting up my retro computing setup hap-hazardly where it will temporarily fit.

Since PCjrs are so light, I always set mine up wherever they will fit, usually on my worktable. The only permanent installation I have is an IBM 5160+5161 that I use semi-regularly.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Brutman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm a little late but I feel the need to brag a little ...

Under the bench I have a Pentium 233 running Linux, a newer Athlon Linux box, my beloved PC AT with a 386-40 in it, a Pentium 133 with Windows 98, and a spare 486. The first four machines run through a KVM to the 17" CRT and Model M. The PCjr is using a jrIDE and an IBM PC 5150 keyboard.

This picture is just from a different angle - the wall of linen manuals helps me wrangle the machines.

If you are the jealous type, I'll temper your feelings by letting you know that for two years I was basically relocating and living out of boxes. It's nice to have the machines back out and usable again. I've paid my dues. :-)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:10 pm

A messy workbench is a happy workbench! I like you have spaces between the computers for your legs ;-)

I'll try to remember to update this thread with my setup when I get mine out of flux; things are currently torn apart as I try to get a video capture solution going. (I am working on a video capture workflow for CGA RGB, CGA composite, and PCjr RGB -- good thing I have one of those IBM "Adapter Cable for the IBM Color Display" cables, although it will suck taking it out of shrinkwrap!)
Trixter

Postby Tempest » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:50 am

Here are some pictures of my computer/game room. Things have moved around a little since then but it's mostly the same (PCjr is in the last one).

You can see all the pictures here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234562 ... -v5/page-1
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby Trixter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 pm

Holy geebus!! Add some black leather couches with chrome trim and some Nagel prints on the walls and it would match my teenage fever dreams. Nicely done!
Trixter

Postby alanh » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:14 pm

a) single
b) married to the most understanding wife on this planet

Which one is it? There is no 3rd choice here!
alanh

Postby Tempest » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:33 pm

It's B. I gave my wife the spare bedroom so she could have a craft room, and in return I got the basement.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Next

Return to General Computer Discussions