Ethernet for PCjr {WizNet}

Hardware questions and modifications

Ethernet for PCjr {WizNet}

Postby Shaos » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Is anybody interested in this kind of thing?

I believe I can add WizNet module to custom cartridge and write packet driver for it...

P.S. + SD-card reader (and writer : )
Last edited by Shaos on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaos

Re: Jr Cartridge Ethernet {IDEA}

Postby MikeModified » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 pm

How about VGA output vis-à-vis the TRS80 M1 MISE http://bartlettlabs.com/MISE/index.html (which uses a WIZ830MJ)?

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Shaos » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 pm

MikeModified wrote:How about VGA output vis-à-vis the TRS80 M1 MISE http://bartlettlabs.com/MISE/index.html (which uses a WIZ830MJ)?

Mike

I think it's too much (especially for the price $330 - you can buy brand new computer for that : )

I want to keep price below $100 (preferably around $50, but not for the 1st batch)
Shaos

Postby alanh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:09 am

I say take advantage of the free time while you have it. My PCJr NetPI project is stalled atm because I'm working 3 contract jobs at least until April. I did get over the main technical barrier I faced over Christmas - it is now possible to reprogram the CPLD from the Pi. So if I can scratch out just a bit more time, it can get it in the hands of others to help.

You probably are already aware, but the cartridge slot does not have a write strobe. So the only method of writing data is recognizing progressive read patterns similar to how the ROM module RTCs used to work.
alanh

Postby Shaos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 am

Yes, I plan to use trick of reading from let say 0x7Fxx range and hardware will treat it as a write of the byte xx to some earlier specified address (by read from other range for example)
Shaos

Postby Brutman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:20 pm

I think that anything in a cartridge slot, except a ROM, is probably more pain than it is worth.

For Ethernet I'd love to see something in the modem slot. It has an interrupt line. It has I/O ports. Putting wired Ethernet in there should be easy. Wired Ethernet isn't as cool as the jrIDE based emulated hard drive/wifi/Linux co-processor that Alan isn't work on, but it also doesn't require a jrIDE and it's really simple in comparison.

I've gone through a few times over the years and looked at Ethernet chipsets that I could work with in the modem slot. But I'm a software person and I barely have a working knowledge of TTL logic, so I've never progressed to breadboarding a solution. It's probably a reasonable beginner project though.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Brutman wrote:For Ethernet I'd love to see something in the modem slot. It has an interrupt line. It has I/O ports. Putting wired Ethernet in there should be easy.

Additionally, no case modifications would be necessary, since the window is wide enough for an RJ11 and will probably take an RJ45 just fine.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Shaos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm

ok, I'll think about it...
Shaos

Postby geoffdaddy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 am

Plus, you wouldn't have an ethernet cable coming out the front of the unit.
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby KenG » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 pm

I would certainly prefer either an internal card or sidecar. I think performance would be better also.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Next

Return to PCjr Hardware