64k without a floppy drive

General discussions on the PCjr

64k without a floppy drive

Postby OldComputerGuy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Does anyone own one of these models? I have only ever seen pictures of these. Do they actually exist? Are they rare?
OldComputerGuy

Re: 64k without a floppy drive

Postby Brutman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I have one and I believe they are fairly rare. I've seen lots of machines in real life and on the Internet over the years and I might have seen two of these in total.

The only thing that makes them slightly special is the blank plate where the floppy drive would be. Except for that, it's really easy to convert a better machine to this configuration.

Think about it - in 1984 a 64K PC compatible is pretty much useless. Might as well by a Commodore 64. There is basically no commercial software on cassette for the PC or PCjr, so to do anything you really needed a 128K machine with a floppy drive and DOS.

The educational market could have used these machines with the cluster adapter connected to a server, but I suspect those required 128K because you still had to boot an operating system over the network.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby geoffdaddy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 pm

True, but also recall that this was at a time when a BASIC machine was "all the rage." There was seemingly a belief in the industry that BASIC was all you needed, and a Casette port for some cheap external storage for the BASIC programs you typed in or created yourself.

Now, granted a PCjr with 64K and no floppy doesn't really compete based on price with other home computers of the time, but features-wise I guess that it's pretty close, and it's got an IR keyboard.
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby Trixter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:15 pm

geoffdaddy wrote:True, but also recall that this was at a time when a BASIC machine was "all the rage." There was seemingly a belief in the industry that BASIC was all you needed, and a Casette port for some cheap external storage for the BASIC programs you typed in or created yourself.

For 1981, that would be correct. However, the PCjr took so long to get to market (end-user customers had their units in March of 1984) that a floppy-less system was no longer considered adequate. Coupled with the fact that IBM was pushing the PCjr as a way to "take your work home", I'll bet hardly any of these sold, and I agree with Mike they are very rare.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby GHiero » Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am

Did any of the productivity cartridges other than Cartridge BASIC, like Lotus 1-2-3, allow you to save your work to a cassette tape using the cassette cable?
GHiero

Postby Trixter » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 pm

None that I'm aware of. I don't think even ColorPaint did (IIRC, you could boot the system with ColorPaint), but I could be wrong as I've never tried the Electric Desk cart.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby GranNaniwa » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm

I believe my PCjr might have started life sans floppy drive, because it came with this plastic cover that seems to fit over the drive opening. Could someone confirm this?

GranNaniwa

Return to PCjr General Discussion