DOSBox 0.74 with improved PCJr compatibility

General discussions on the PCjr

DOSBox 0.74 with improved PCJr compatibility

Postby hyperfrog » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:33 pm

This is not a very "fresh" news, but some of you might not be aware that the DOSBox emulator offers PCJr support. Version 0.74 was released on May 12, 2010. Here are some of the changes from 0.73 to 0.74 :

• CGA, PCJr, Tandy: Add video blanking, change display start latch timing, sync pulse width correction.
  • PCJr, Tandy: implement vertical retrace interrupt.
  • PCJr, CGA: line-by-line video emulation.
  • PCJr: support on-screen change of color modes 4medium to 16low. (used by Ghostbusters booter)
  • Speed up and fixes for the recompiler core. (pitfall2 pcjr)
Have fun!

Christian
hyperfrog

Re: DOSBox 0.74 with improved PCJr compatibility

Postby Brutman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:17 am

I've been using DOSBox for a while, but completely forgot about the PCjr support in it. I've been using it for my network programming ...

DOSBox is good at emulating games, but it has a few glitches. For one, it doesn't emulate CTRL-Break or CTRL-C handling at the DOS prompt. These are not normally used in games, but it limits the normal applications that you can run. DOSBox also seems to ignore requests to change the DOS time - the time command doesn't accept user input, and the DOS system call seems to be ignored.

I've been using the H-A-L 9000 'megabuild' of DOSBox - that's the version that adds the network support and other goodies that standard DOSBox doesn't have.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby CommodoreJohn » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Yeah, I just noticed this the other day. I use DOSBox more for VGA gaming, but it's always nice to have the option.

BTW, if anyone wants a binary with the annoying splash screen commented out, certain of us may have such a thing on hand ;)
Packard-Bell 286 (DOS 3.3, 32MB HD, 2.6MB RAM, HGC/EGA)
Tandy 1000TX (DOS 3.2, 640KB RAM, TGA)
CommodoreJohn

Postby Tyrop » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:10 am

CTRL-Scroll Lock does a break, at least in GWBASIC, not sure about Dos. Does anyone know if DOSBox emulates a PCjr modem? (I know, why would I want it to!) I wrote a BBS in the early 80's and all I had was the PCjr modem. I want to play with putting it up again so it can be telnetted into (not that it was anything great).
Tyrop

Return to PCjr General Discussion