Broken display pins

Hardware questions and modifications

Broken display pins

Postby griff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am

I just picked up a PCjr and I see that out of the 18 display pins, 2 are bent and 3 are broken off. Can anyone point me to a guide or reference on repairing/replacing these pins? Thanks.
griff

Re: Broken display pins

Postby griff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:48 pm

7D1AFBEB-D695-4157-8028-1F9F7A1675F8.jpeg
(548.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
griff

Postby jscrow » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 pm

This issue is addressed in PCjr Power (see below). It was beyond my skill level so I bypassed using a TexElec CGA and Serial Breakout Board. Of course if you go that route you won't be able to use an original PCjr monitor. I had also recently posted about this on the forum.

From PCjr Power page 32:
DAMAGED REAR CONNECTORS ON THE PCjr

Due to the makeup of the JJLKLPT and DSC connectors on the rear of the computer. they can be easily damaged. The pins can be bent or broken off. We have found that repair of these connectors is fairly easy. First locate the connector with the broken pin. Unplug the Junior and remove all internal parts including. power supply. 64K memory card, disk drive. controller card. and modem. We remove the mother board from the PCjr shell for easier access to the connectors.

With small side cutters locate the broken pin from the inside and cut it off 1/4" above the mother board. With small needle nose pliers pull the remaining piece of the pin out of the connector. Locate a unused connector like the "L" or "C" port and snip one pin lose at the surface of the board. Pull this new pin out and push it into the connector hole that needs a new pin. Align the new pin with the remaining 1/4" segment of the old and solder them together. This substitution works well generally. however. on some occasions I have swapped the complete pin by unsoldering it from the system board and bending it up slightly to remove it,
jscrow

Postby griff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 pm

I looked up that document you quoted and it is quite interesting. I just might give desoldering the whole connector a go and swap out some of the cassette pins. Thank you for the info.
griff

Postby OldComputerGuy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:15 am

Or you could take the pins from a different motherboard so you won't lose the ability to use the other ports.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980s- ... ctupt=true
OldComputerGuy

Postby KenG » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:15 am

I've wondered it the pins from something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-1x40-Pin ... SwajVUMHL- might work.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby OldComputerGuy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:07 am

There's a special name for that type of connector but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. Maybe someone else does? I've seen them for sale on ebay before.

It looks like it's called a BERG connector. You just have to find one with the same pin configuration as the one that you need to replace.
OldComputerGuy

Postby shamanjoe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:04 pm

griff wrote:I looked up that document you quoted and it is quite interesting. I just might give desoldering the whole connector a go and swap out some of the cassette pins. Thank you for the info.

Did you have any luck trying to desolder the entire connector? I tried to just remove the ground shield around the connector (with an iron and desoldering braid) but I couldn't get it to budge. I was thinking of using hot air, but I wanted to see what others had tried first. I don't want to go just making the same mistake if I can avoid it. Any advice would be appreciated.
shamanjoe

Postby Chuckphd53 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:06 pm

I have replaced these pins...
If interested I can add to,this thread with details..
Chuck
(PCJR/JR-IDE-512DOM,TandyMod,V20-10Chip,BiDir,LPT2,3FlopBrd,
USBEmulator,ZIP100,PS2Keybrd,MouseSysMouse,InternalSwitcherPS)
Chuckphd53

Return to PCjr Hardware